(ONLY 136 UNITS)
ONE OF THE
FIRST 25 EXAMPLES
The BMW 503 offered for sale here is one of the first production cars (136 units) and was delivered by Motag in Switzerland on August 27, 1956. It is still in the original color combination (Matching Colors) and engine and chassis are Matching Numbers.
The coupe was restored some time ago and is accordingly in a well maintained condition. The engine hangs cleanly on the throttle and the transmission shifts well. The paint was renewed during the restoration and has an even appearance. The interior was also overhauled and is in excellent condition with no damage.
Contrary to the widely held belief that Albrecht Graf Görtz developed the design of the 503, it was only slightly revised by him and then completed. The actual development of the 503 can be attributed to Kurt Bredschneider, who had been head of the body department at BMW since the beginning of 1955. However, he was unable to completely convince his superiors with his design. The 503 had to be ready by the IAA in September 1955, so Albrecht Graf Görtz was put in charge. He left the basic shape untouched and changed the taillights, the headlights and added additional trim.
A total of only 412 examples were built between 1956 and 1960, largely due to the very high price of 29,500 DM. In December 1957, a model update was carried out. The most visible change is the side chrome trim now no longer curved upwards at the rear, technically, among other things, the transmission was flanged directly to the engine and a stick shift was used.