Fully restord by
The Mercedes Benz 300 SL Roadster W198 II offered for sale here was delivered to the Mercedes Benz sales organization to Saudi Arabia on 06/03/1960. After its time in Saudi Arabia the Roadster came to the United States. An American Title from 2001 from Pennsylvania is available from this time.
In 2007, the 300 SL was offered for sale in the United States through Gullwing Motor Cars Inc. In October 2007, the current owner purchased the car through HK Engineering of the United States. The car was imported to Germany by HK Engineering and completely restored in the then still existing, Stuttgart branch of the company. The invoice of the restoration and the corresponding correspondence are of course available.
The numbers of the aggregates fit to those of the data card - thus the car has also the desired "matching numbers". Also the handling of the vehicle speaks for a restoration on absolutely highest level.
The Roadster has run just 16,022 kilometers since the restoration. It has been in the same collection ever since and has always been maintained and serviced with the utmost care over the years.
The 300 SL Roadster celebrated its premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1957. Just like its predecessor, the Roadster was the initiative of Max Hoffmann. As with the Gullwing, the tubular lattice frame was the load-bearing element, although it was significantly modified in the area of the doors and rear. Space was gained for a usable trunk and hinged doors for much more convenient entry.
The rear axle became a single-joint swing axle with compensating spring, resulting in improved handling characteristics and increased comfort. In March 1961, the air-cooled drum duplex brakes were replaced by modern disc brakes, and a year later a revised engine (M 198 III) with an alloy cylinder block was fitted.